PlayStation at CES 2022 during its presentation officially announced the existence of plans to launch its enterprise virtual reality set. Much of the information is still kept secret, but we already know a lot. Given, among other things, the specification and appearance of the device have been leaked. See official and alleged PlayStation VR2 information.
PlayStation VR2 is the next generation of VR glasses from Sony, which is a huge step up from the best-selling first edition of the set. Installation and connection to the console should be done via a single cable plugged directly into the PlayStation 5. As he writes on the PlayStation Blog Hideaki Nishinoone of the people responsible for the project:
PlayStation VR2 takes virtual reality gaming to a new level by providing a greater sense of presence and allowing players to escape into the gaming world like never before. With the headset and controllers in hand, players will experience an increased amount of impressions that have never been before – thanks to the creativity of creators creating worlds in our games and the latest technologies implemented in the equipment.
Sony promises the following PlayStation VR2 headset features:
- True Visual Experience – In order to best reflect reality, PlayStation VR2 should be equipped with an OLED display with 4K resolution with HDR support with a 110 degree field of view. This gives us a resolution of 2000×2040 pixels per eye. The refresh rate should change smoothly from 90 to 120 Hz, which will eliminate the problem of “motion sickness” during use.
- Controller Tracking via Headset – PS VR2 is all about tracking the user and controllers through the headset’s built-in cameras, without the need for external cameras.
- New Sensory Experience – The technology behind the PlayStation VR2 glasses combines eye tracking, headset feel, 3D audio and innovative PlayStation VR2 Sense controllers to create a deep sense of immersion. The headset is supposed to deepen the feeling of being in the game with smooth, intelligent vibrations. For example, players will be able to feel the character’s heartbeat during more exciting events or the recoil when accelerating the vehicle. In addition, the audio technology will make us hear really vivid sounds.
- Eye Tracking – Takes the VR experience to a new level, allowing even greater control and maximizing realism and immersion.
We do not yet know the release date of the new equipment from Sony. Most likely, however, it will be released before the Christmas shopping rush, which suggests the hardware will hit shelves in late 2022.
On the other hand, an analyst specializing in the display supply market and the general manager of Display Supply Chain Consultants – Ross Young – believes that the PS VR 2 glasses will not appear until 2023. On his Twitter profile, he presented a forecast where he said that this year, VR display supplies will increase by more than half “despite delays to 2023 from Apple and Sony”.
The price of the device has still not been officially announced. Analyzing the first price of its predecessor and taking into account the current prices of similar equipment, analysts suspect a price range of around 399 EUR / USD, which would give us around 1800 PLN.
The next-gen VR headset for the PS5 console looks as expected – the dominant color of the headset is white with black inserts. The white variant of the controllers was also shown for the first time – previously Sony only showed its black version. You can see new photos of the PS VR2 look and design in our gallery:
The design of the PlayStation VR2 is inspired by the look of the existing product family for the PS5 console. Sony in its entry reveals that while working on the project, the team was also thinking about the appearance of PS VR2.
- The curves and oval design of the headset and controllers are not only aesthetically pleasing, but also comfortable and ergonomic.
- The mass of the whole is well balanced
- Lens width and distance or strap length can be adjusted as you need
- The headphone jack remained in the same place as in the predecessor
- New ventilation systemsolving the problem of steaming lentils
Controllers have been appointed Sense of PlayStation VR2. Pad names refer to DualSensethat is, it comes with the PlayStation 5. These were first presented in March 2021. Their appearance is already known – you can see them in our gallery:
- Buttons on the right – PS Button, Options Button, Action Buttons (Circle/Cross), R1 Button, R2 Button, Right Analog/R3 Button
- Left side buttons – PS Button, Create Button, Action Buttons (Triangle/Square), L1 Button, L2 Button, Left Analog/L3 Button
- Detection / Tracking – Motion sensor (six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope + three-axis accelerometer)), touch sensor: finger touch detection, infrared LED: position tracking
- Feedback – Adaptive triggers (on R2/L2 buttons), haptic vibrations
- port – USB Type-C
- Communication -Bluetooth 5.1
- Battery Type – Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Display method -OLED
- Panel resolution – 2000 x 2040 per eye
- Refresh rate – 90Hz, 120Hz
- Distance between glasses – Adjustable
- Field of view – about 110 degrees
- Cameras – 4 cameras to follow the movement of the headset and controllers, an infrared camera to follow the movement of the eyeball
- Feedback – Vibration in the helmet
- Communication with PS5 – a single USB Type-C cable
- audio – Built-in microphone, headphone jack
Console games at promotional prices!
Partner promotional material
So far, with the announcement of the hardware work, only one major system game has been announced – Horizon Call of the Mountain. You can read more about the title below:
However, Sony has confirmed that over 20 games will be available with the hardware launch.
Sony has not disclosed any information about this to the public. Analysts have given good arguments for and against the introduction of backwards compatibility in the PlayStation VR2. For one, the PS5 is backward compatible with the PS4, for which the first iteration of the headset was created. On the other hand, controllers and hardware will work on quite different principles than before, which can be inconvenient. Maybe Sony can fix this problem and we’ll be able to enjoy the full PS VR library when the “two” premieres.
Accessories for players at attractive prices!
Partner promotional material