Not so long ago, the company was striving for the leading position in our country. Today, she is not in the top five and her income is falling. The smartphone business is suffering as Huawei also offers 5G infrastructure. And that’s where politics comes in.
According to the financial statements, the company’s income from the sale of consumer and network equipment increased from PLN 2.2 billion to PLN 1.56 billion. The company explains this by “a decline in the volume of mobile phone sales caused by external factors independent of the company”.
It’s hard without Google
This means that despite the efforts of the manufacturer, smartphones without Google services are no longer so popular. It should also be remembered that due to US sanctions, the phones do not support 5G networks. The company is also unable to manufacture its processors and must use chips from other manufacturers – mainly American Qualcomm.
Huawei has lost the lead among companies selling smartphones in our country. In 2020, it was in third place with 16%. market share by volume. Today he is not in the top five.
Despite this, the manufacturer does not give up. According to the latest information, it plans to introduce the latest foldable Mate XS2 in the coming days. Its price can reach up to 9 thousand. zloty. The device is atypical because it is the only one that folds on the outside, not on the inside. Therefore, the screen is always exposed to damage.
With Leica and Leica at the top
Huawei very quickly acquired a strong position in our market. The decisive year in Poland was 2015. Then the company signed a contract with Robert Lewandowski. The best Polish footballer has become the face of Huawei for many years advertising its new products. Overall, the year 2016 was more important, when the Chinese presented their first smartphone (the P9 model), created in collaboration with the photographic brand Leica. Thanks to this, the quality of the photos skyrocketed, reaching its peak somewhere with the P30 Pro model. And it was other producers who had to start chasing after Huaweia.
The company battled Samsung for the top position in Poland and all indications were that this situation would continue for many years to come. But then big politics came into play…
Because Huawei is not only equipment, but also a 5G network. And these are questions of strategic importance.
Huawei and ZTE have long had a problem with the US administration. The companies remained there in 2017, after an 11-month investigation, identified as posing a threat to national security. ZTE returned to the US market, but officially withdrew from all 5G investments.
- July 2018 For security reasons, Australia excluded Huawei from the 5G rollout.
- August 2018 Huawei becomes the world’s number 2 phone seller. The first is Samsung, the third is Apple.
- January 2019. Two people are detained in Poland for spying for China. One of them is the director of the Polish branch of Huawei. Weijing Wang was detained until 2021, after which he was released and a month later detained again.
- February 2019 US State Department advises European countries not to use Huawei equipment when implementing 5G.
- On March 4, 2019, Huawei develops its own operating system in case it cannot use Android or Windows.
- On March 12, 2019, the United States presents an ultimatum to Germany to abandon Huawei services. If they don’t, the United States will limit the sharing of intelligence information. Angela Merkel, however, does not decide to exclude Huawei from the introduction of 5G in Germany.
- April 2019 CIA claims Huawei is funded by Chinese security services.
- May 2019. President Donald Trump bans the use of Huawei equipment and cooperation with the company for national security reasons. Huawei protests, says US ban will “significantly harm” US jobs and businesses. Since then, all of the company’s new devices have been denied access to the Play Store and Google services. This does not apply to devices already on the market.
- December 2019 Huawei announces increased phone sales in 2019, but predicts the coming year will be “very difficult”.
- January 2020 Huawei announces that it will replace Google Maps with TomTom navigation.
- May 2020 Donald Trump extends the order against Huawei for one year.
- August 2020 Huawei guarantees that its older Android phones will continue to receive software and security updates even if its Google license has expired.
- October 2020. Sweden bars Huawei from building and accessing the 5G network.
- November 2020 Qualcomm obtains authorization to sell Huawei processors with 4G access
- April 2021 The Romanian government approves a plan to ban the use of Huawei’s 5G network.
- May 2021 Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei tells employees the company needs to focus on software, not hardware, as US sanctions affect traditional business.
Will Huawei increase further? The manufacturer is developing very dynamically where it has not been subject to American restrictions. Smart watches, bands, laptops and monitors present a very high standard. However, smartphones have brought the greatest benefits. The Joe Biden administration has not changed the policy initiated by Donald Trump, and there is no indication that anything in this regard will change any time soon. So smartphone enthusiasts can use older Huawei devices that are still running Google services. The P30 Pro model ages with great dignity.